Happy Birthday Manmohan Singh:Interesting Facts About Former Prime Minister
26 Sep, 2021 08:59 IST|Sakshi Post
Senior Congress leader Manmohan Singh turns a year older today. He is an economist and played a key role in the development of India. Here are some interesting facts about former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Manmohan Singh was born on September 26, 1932, in Gah, a village in Punjab that is now a part of Pakistan. When he was a child, he lost his mother and was raised by his grandmother.
- Manmohan Singh lived in Gah for the first twelve years of his life where there was no electricity.
- He used to walk many kilometers to attend school.
- He served as the Prime Minister of Independent India from 2004 to 2014.
- He was the first Sikh PM of India.
- Manmohan Singh can't read Hindi although he can speak the language. All his speeches were written in Urdu when he was leading the nation.
- Manmohan was a quiet and reserved person.
- When he was studying at Cambridge University, he used to wake up at 4 am and bathe with cold water because he was shy to wash his long hair.
- Manmohan Singh worked for the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), from 1966 to 1969.
- Manmohan Singh was given the Padma Vibhushan award in 1987.
- In 2005, Manmohan Singh was listed as 'Times Top 100 Influential People in the World'.
- Manmohan Singh also worked as the Chairman of University Grants Commission, Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission, and later Governor of Reserve Bank before serving as the Finance Minister of India from 1991-1996.