AMARAVATI: The State government of Andhra Pradesh has decided to develop four-lane roads for improving road connectivity in the Rayalaseema region. The four main roads (528 Kms) connecting the four districts of Anantapur, Chittoor, Kurnool, and YSR Kadapa districts in Rayalaseema will be developed at a total cost of Rs 7,392 crore. To this end, consultants have been appointed to prepare Detailed Project Reports (DPRs). The plan is to start the tender process and complete the development works next year. The National Highways Development Authority (NHAI) has responded positively to Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy's proposal for this purpose. Roads & Buildings Chief Secretary MT Krishna Babu told Sakshi that the state government was extending its cooperation in the construction of these national highways.
Four-lane roads in Rayalaseema
Anantapur district: The construction of a 154 Kms four-lane road from Anantapur to Maidukuru at a cost Rs Rs 2,156 crore has been approved by the NHAI.
Chittoor district: A 94 Kms four-lane road from Madanapalle to Tirupati in Chittoor district at a cost of Rs. 1,316 crore was also approved.
Kurnool district: A 131 Kms four-lane road from Kurnool to Dornala will be constructed. For this, proposals worth Rs 1,834 crore were approved.
YSR Kadapa district: From Maidukuru via Badvelu to Nellore,a four-lane road measuring 149 Kms connecting them to the Chennai-Kolkata National Highway will be developed. The NHAI has approved proposals worth Rs 2,086 crore for this purpose.
Road repairs at a cost of Rs. 2,205 crore
The State government is also gearing up for road repairs in the State and the Bank of Baroda has agreed to lend Rs 2,000 crore to the State government for this purpose. The State Roads Development Corporation (RDC) started the tender process a few months ago for the repair of roads of around 9,000Kms in the State. The State Government has decided to undertake these repair tasks with the help of a loan from a bank and the RDC has consulted with various banks for this purpose. The State government has approved the repayment of these loans through the funds raised by levying road cess.
Negotiations by R&B department officials proved to be fruitful and the Bank of Baroda has stepped in to provide loans at low-interest rates. The RDC has expedited preparations to repair a total of 9,000 km at a cost of Rs 2,205 crore. Contractors have already filed bids for 33% of the work. Contractors are currently interested in filing tenders for the remaining 67% of the work, with a bank loan being granted. With this, the entire tender process will be finalized soon. RDC MD Srinivasulu Reddy said that the whole tender process for the road repairs will be completed by the month of April next year.