VISHAKHAPATNAM: Many animals were killed and several fell unconscious after a poisonous gas leaked from the LG Polymer chemical plant at Gopalapatnam here on Thursday morning.
Several animals including dogs, cows and even birds have lost their lives due to the poisonous gas leakage. Visuals of these animals are being shared in social media.
Take a look:
According to the residents of the area, the gas leak tragedy is said to have happened around 2 am when people were still in their sleep. At least six persons died and a few hundreds of others fell ill due to the gas leakage. A large number of people were initially thought to be trapped in their homes as they stayed put seeing some people falling off on the roads while fleeing.
A National Disaster Response Force was pressed into the service. People who fell unconscious and those with breathing difficulties were brought to the King George Hospital in the city. Children and elderly were most affected.
It is being said that Styrene gas, a key component in the manufacturing of polymer, has leaked from the plant. But as soon as the gas leakage was noticed, the plant authorities rang the siren to alert the people in the neighbourhood and informed the police.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy spoke to Visakhapatnam district collector Vinay Chand and found out details. He ordered rescue and relief measures to be taken up on a war-footing and also safety steps to be put in place in localities affected by the gas leak.
CM YS Jagan is set to reach Visakhapatnam by helicopter around 11:45 AM and first meet the AP Polymers gas leak victims undergoing treatment at various hospitals.