Two firemen died and another two were injured after an LPG cylinder exploded when they were fighting a blaze at a fast food joint in west Delhi's Vikaspuri area on Friday.
The blast occurred when a six-member fire brigade team had gone to attend a fire call at 5.35 am. The initial blaze had started due to a short circuit.
Two firefighters, Hari Singh Meena (48) and Hari Om (49), died after getting trapped in the fire caused by the blast. Hari Om was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where he succumbed to injuries. Hari Singh Meena was taken to Park Hospital, Khyala, where he was declared brought dead. Two other firefighters, Navin (32) and Ravinder Singh (33), suffered injuries and are undergoing treatment at BL Kapur Hospital. Naveen's condition is critical, while Singh is likely to be discharged soon.
The shop, 'Chitkora Food and Snacks', is owned by Satpal Singh. There were four-five LPG cylinders kept in it, he said. The flames were doused by 7.36 am.
Delhi Home Minister Satyendar Jain, who met the injured firefighters at hospital, termed the incident as "unfortunate" and said that prima facie, there were no procedural lapses noticed on the part of firemen in tackling the incident. Compensation to the tune of Rs 1 crore is given to kin of uniformed services personnel killed on active duty, as per the Delhi government's policy.